Visitors, we need your help
Handy hints to help keep the Lake District special
Visitors, you have a huge role to play in helping to care for our lakes.
Here are some handy hints to make sure you have a fantastic experience, while keeping this place special for future generations to enjoy.
- Choose to support businesses that work with the local community and support this spectacular landscape. Here’s the list of businesses that support our charity for example.
- Follow any advice and guidance you receive from your hosts and from the Lake District National Park Authority. Things might work a little different to when you are at home, your accommodation may have a septic tank for example, so please work with us.
- If you access the water, help to prevent the spread of pollution and invasive non-native species (INNS) by following the Greener Boating Code.
- Avoid single use plastics wherever possible. Most plastic litter ends up in our water bodies and eventually in our seas. Choose sustainable alternatives wherever possible, take litter home or put it in the bin. Or you could even attend a litter pick!
- Climate change is a global problem that will also affect us locally. And any actions we take here will have a wider impact around the globe. The biggest sources of carbon emissions in the Lake District are from our food and travel. Choose local food and drink where possible, and explore by boot, bike, boat or bus. Just one car-free day during your holiday helps to make a difference.
If you’d like to know more, or have ideas you’d like to share, we’d love to hear from you, please get in touch!