Get started in 5 easy steps
Its easy to support the Lake District Foundation in your Business
Get started in just 5 easy steps…
1. Work with us to choose your method
2. Communicate your goals and targets with your staff and customers
3. Transfer your funds raised to the Lake District Foundation
4. Celebrate your success
Get in touch to find out more, we would love to hear from you. Or take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I support the Lake District Foundation?
There are many ways that you can support the Lake District Foundation in your business. The most successful methods are:
- A regular annual donation – choose a donation amount to suit your business
- Percentage revenue – makes a business donation for every sale, for example £1 on every booking, or 50p on every product
- Opt out donations – Add a voluntary donation to the bill and your customer can tell you if they
want to remove it. Please note that you cannot do this with online booking – instead you can give customers the chance to “opt in”
- Opt in donations – give your customers the chance to add their own donation, perhaps when booking online or while ordering their breakfast.
- Event fundraising – Hold a an event such as a gala dinner or coffee morning and donate any proceeds raised
If you would like to know more about any of the above methods we can put you in touch with a similar business supporter, or take a look at our case studies.
What is the best method for my business?
We know that every business is different and so to help you to choose a method you may want to think about:
- How do your customers book and when do they pay?
- What is the size of your business and the current price points?
- Your customers – what interests them?
- What opportunities do you have for communication with customers?
Once you have decided upon a method and start date, we will send you marketing materials such as posters and logos.
If you have any questions during the set up process we will be more than happy to help.
Does it affect my bookkeeping?
You will need to record how many donations you collect, this can be a simple pen and paper tally or it can be integrated with your current financial system.
You do not pay VAT on any donation income raised – you are simply holding the funds before transferring to us.
If you are making a donation from business profits (rather then fundraising from the public), please see our tax and gift aid advice.
How do I send my donations?
You will receive bi-annual or annual prompts from us by email to remind you to transfer your donations by BACS or cheque, but you can send donations more frequently if you wish. Our bank details are available in the web-portal.
Upon receipt of your donation we will send a letter and a bespoke certificate with your cumulative fundraising total. You may wish to keep these letters for your accounting and financial records.
We will also send project updates after each grant panel meeting, so that you can see the impact of your hard work!
Where does the money go?
You can choose to support any of our funds:
1. The Lake District Foundation Fund
Donations to this fund are used to support a range of evidence-based high impact projects that care for the spectacular landscape, wildlife and cultural heritage of the Lake District and Cumbria. Visit our website for examples of recently funded projects.
2. Fix the Fells
Donations to this fund are used to protect our spectacular Lakeland fells from erosion by repairing and maintaining the upland paths. Erosion from people, coupled with severe weather events and climate change, is causing ugly scars and environmental damage in the fragile mountains. Fix the Fells tackles this erosion problem by repairing and maintaining 330 upland paths, helping to keep the Lake District a special place for us and for future generations.
3. Bespoke Fund
We can support you to create a grant-making fund to support the causes which are close to your heart. Rest-assured you can have confidence that your fund is used to its highest impact, thanks to the knowledge and expertise of our staff and trustees.
We will work with you to learn about your wishes and create funds which match your interests with local needs, to create an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
If you would like to set up your own fund, please contact our CEO Sarah Swindley on [email protected] or call 01539 822622.
How can I engage my staff and customers?
For your fundraising to be successful, it is important that all staff are aware of what you are trying to achieve, so think about all of the members of staff that your customer meet during their stay, for example reception staff, waiting staff etc. We can visit your business to talk to your staff by arrangement.
Use the marketing materials in the web-portal to share your fundraising goals with your customers. Display information on your website, newsletters, social media and in your property. We will be back in touch one month after your start date to see how your fundraising is going and whether you need any further support, but remember, you can always contact us at any time.
What help will I receive?
Our staff and volunteers are here to help you to achieve your goals.
As a business supporter you will receive:
- Logos for use on your website and printed materials
- Marketing pack including poster and window sticker
- A regular e-newsletter filled with images, stories and stats to share with your customers
- An annual supporter certificate
- Listing on our website
- ‘Welcome to the club’ publicity via social media
- Press release support at significant milestones
- Exclusive invites to special events, including site visits to see the impact of your support, and our annual Celebration Dinner