on your doorstep Workshop
LDF are offering a unique opportunity for those of you who would like to support the conservation of red squirrels in your own grounds or gardens. As many of you know, the red squirrel is a huge attraction to visitors. Helping them is a huge benefit to conservation and business in the local area. They are important and cute!
As part of our current Campaign for Red Squirrels we have joined up with a local expert, Simon O’Hare from Cumbria Wildlife Trust and Red Squirrels North East. Simon is holding two workshops (one in the North and one in the South).
Here is an idea of what will be included in the workshop:
- ‘Supporting reds on your doorstep’
How to look after local red squirrels, including how to encourage them, how to feed them and keep them healthy, how to monitor them and what to do if their arch enemy (the grey squirrel) turns up!
- Take a look at some of the methods used to conserve reds, and the technology that enables projects to monitor for squirrels.
- Practical session looking at survey techniques using trail cameras and other methods
- Learn how your business can benefit from association with this charismatic and emblematic species!
- Learn about the ecological and cultural importance of reds in Cumbria
- Includes an update from Red Squirrels Northern England project on the outlook for reds across the north, and also updates from local volunteers who are working hard to protect local reds.
We are offering 15 places on each workshop for a donation of £20.
Date: 6 November 2019
Venue: Cottage in the Wood, Whinlatter Forest, Braithwaite
Date: 8 November 2019
Venue: Rothay Manor, Ambleside
If you can make it to the workshop, expect to be featured on our LDF social media as ‘heroes of the reds!’